blog advertising is good for you

DONATE TO LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD

ANY AMOUNT WOULD HELP FROM $5, $10, EVEN $20....

Thursday, May 20, 2010

STFU


Most athletes, especially the OUT ones, are responding to footballer Jason Akermanis' column telling players to stay in the closet.

These athletes are saying it politely but we aren't:   STFU Akermanis!

Here's the response by some athletes of Akermanis' comments:

OUT rugby player Ian Roberts:



At first I just laughed it off. But quite literally there are kids out in the suburbs that are killing themselves. It would be funny if it wasn't for that. It's almost like that's the one area ... where people are still allowed to bash gay people, verbally or physically. If he had said that about someone of colour or religion or someone of a genetic deformity, the public wouldn't stand for it. It almost gathers momentum ... and makes it more difficult again for people who are trying to find that peace within themselves. For any young kid out there in the suburbs having difficulties with his sexuality ... all he (Akermanis) has done is totally burn that child. And I mean that with all my heart. When I heard Jason's comments, it's almost like, what century are we in? Where is this guy coming from? Well I can tell him, I can promise him, there are people in his locker room who are gay - they're just not out. Ignorance is no excuse."


OUT swimmer Daniel Kowalski:


"I'm disappointed, I'm mad, I'm angry, I'm sad. When you get comments like that from a guy of his stature, why would you come out? It's disappointing more than anything. Jason Akermanis has always been known for being a human headline. I'm at a loss because a lot of work has been done by Pippa Grange and the AFL Players' Association and there is support and it's continuing to gather. He talks in a sense of 'we' like he's speaking for every player in the AFL."

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin