blog advertising is good for you

DONATE TO LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD

ANY AMOUNT WOULD HELP FROM $5, $10, EVEN $20....

Friday, June 12, 2009

ANGRY ANCHORAGE


Dressed in red, the public in Anchorage, Alaska came out to be heard.  Signs had:  "Truth is not hate!" written out by the vocal anti-gay revelers.

Up on the docket:  a proposed bill to outlaw discrimination against gays on housing, employement, and finance.



Allison Mendel, an attorney, told the Assembly, "I want to be able to put my wedding picture on my desk just like you do without being fired for doing it." She said she's had other attorneys, "on the record in court cases accuse me of having particular opinions in a case because I'm a lesbian and therefore I should not be listened to." "Clients tell me horrible stories ...(about being) fired because someone thought they were gay whether they were or not," she said. Others, including former Lt. Gov. Loren Leman, opposed the proposal, reminding Assembly members that Alaska voters have come down against same-sex marriage in a 1990s constitutional amendment. Stan Roach, pastor of the Independent Baptist Church, likened the ordinance to the early days of legal abortion, which he said started in cases of rape and threats to a woman's life and expanded. "That's what this sexual orientation is going to do," he said. "It's going to grow. ..."God made man and God made woman, and I've seen some people tonight, I don't know what they are," Roach said.


A side note:  Out of 200+ people, 88 were heard by 11pm.



If you enjoyed this post, other posts and enjoy reading LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD--Please take a moment to make a donation to keep this blog alive!!! You can click the donate button at the top right of the page. We thank you!!




Read more of my blog by clicking the title or subject listings on the right.

Email friends of my postings with the EMAIL icon at the bottom of each post.

And as always, feel free to comment.










Member of the Boxxet Network of Blogs, Videos and Photos

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin