blog advertising is good for you

DONATE TO LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD

ANY AMOUNT WOULD HELP FROM $5, $10, EVEN $20....

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

HOLLYWOOD REACTS TO CA. SUPREME COURT TO SUPPORT PROP H8TE




George Takei reacts:   "I am confident that if we go through this again, we will ultimately prevail and our [State] Supreme Court will go into the dust of history. What the Supreme Court did essentially was maintain an inequality…Only a year ago, they declared that marriage equality is a fundamental, constitutional right that extends to gays and lesbians, and now they say it isn't."


Wanda Sykes quips:   "I'm deeply disappointed, but also very optimistic that we will return to the polls and restore marriage equality for same-sex couples."

Elton Johns states:  That's just awful. I mean when you see places like Iowa saying yes and there's now five states [in favour] in America…and California is supposed to be a progressive state it just defies logic to me and I’m very disappointed with that."

Singer Melissa Etheridge opines:     "So, will anyone be sleeping better tonight? Those full of hate and fear will surely be disappointed that 18,000 same sex couples will be living in wedded bliss, kissing their spouses goodnight, checking off those little ' married ' boxes on all those forms we fill out nowadays. That’s really going to drive them crazy. Then there are those of us like me who still dangle in ' domestic partnership. ' We can adopt our own children, but we can’t bring our partners who might be citizens from out of the country, here. We can’t file joint tax returns. I could go on. Who will be happy tonight? How do I explain this to my children? Well, you know Ellen? She is married but Mommy and I are not. That is liberty and justice for all? I am hopeful as I see more and more states turn to the inevitable future of equality, California will get there. Change takes time. "


Reichen Lehmkuhl reacts:  This is yet another sad day for our state and our country, on which we’ll look back in shame, forever. I held some hope that today’s CA Supreme Court ruling would NOT uphold the discriminatory amendment known as Proposition 8, denying equal marriage rights to the LGBT community of our great state.  I believe that Proposition 8 was born from misinformation, mis-education, and, ultimately, fear.  My hope was that we would at least maintain our current 18,000 California LGBT marriages of love and commitment, which we did.  I fear this ruling will delay the positive political momentum shown nationally in recent months, toward the non-discrimination of our LGBT citizens.  However, overall we continue to make steady progress, which I find reassuring.  I believe in the good nature of Californians and Americans, in general, to find it unacceptable to recognize two classes of citizens.  I know that, eventually, everyone will see the light, understand that this issue is about equality for all, and that we will do the right thing to accept, love, and support each other in all forms of equal rights.



Republican California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger pontificates on where Prop H8TE's future will go on late night  talker:






AND DON'T FORGET JUST CUZ WE SHOWED THE GOVERNATOR ON LENO.

WE STILL HATE JAY LENO











If you enjoyed this post, other posts and enjoy reading LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD--Please take a moment to make a donation to keep this blog alive!!! You can click the donate button at the top right of the page. We thank you!!




Read more of my blog by clicking the title or subject listings on the right.

Email friends of my postings with the EMAIL icon at the bottom of each post.

And as always, feel free to comment.










Member of the Boxxet Network of Blogs, Videos and Photos

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin