blog advertising is good for you

DONATE TO LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD

ANY AMOUNT WOULD HELP FROM $5, $10, EVEN $20....

Sunday, April 26, 2009

BEA ARTHUR 1922- 2009 : THANK YOU FOR BEING A LIFETIME FRIEND








The legendary actress died at the age of 86.  Ms. Arthur suffered from a cancer ailment.  I  only hope she went peacefully.

Golden Girls is still one of my fave series.  Ms. Arthur's dead pan delivery of one-liners still keeps me in stitches.

My cherished memories:  I loved Maude in the seventies and will always remember her star shining bright in that series.  It was one of my favorites from that decade.  I was always so mesmerized by the authoritarianism and strong-willed convictions of her character, Maude.  I always relished those pithy one-liners she served along with a certain look!!

Rest In Peace, Ms. Arthur.



Gawker penned:


Golden Girls star Bea Arthur, née Bernice Frankel, died at home in Los Angeles at the age of 86 today. She passed away surrounded by family members. She will be loudly mourned by the gays.

Her striking frame, raspy voice, and taste for one-liners made her a natural subject for female impersonators. Told of her drag following, Arthur said, "I'm flattered." Her roles as Yente in Fiddler on the Roof, the outspoken Maude Finley of All in the Family and Maude, and most famously, the caustic Dorothy Zbornak of Golden Girls, gained her an avid gay audience. No funeral is planned. In wigs and wisecracks, she will live forever.

Of the four Golden Girls, Arthur is survived by Betty White and Rue McClanahan. None of the three attended costar Estelle Getty's funeral last year.

White told Entertainment Tonight:

I knew it would hurt, I just didn't know it would hurt this much.. I'm so happy that she received her Lifetime Achievement Award while she was still with us, so she could appreciate that. She was such a big part of my life.




Ms. Arthur did a GREAT parody of that STD and The City show:

You may recognize Sally Struthers, Kathrine Helmond, Charlotte Rae, and Abe Vigoda.






Bea Arthur retrospective ( via Lifetime 1 of 5 vids):







If you enjoyed this post, other posts and enjoy reading LA*SURFPUNK HOLLYWOOD--Please take a moment to make a donation to keep this blog alive!!! You can click the donate button at the top right of the page. We thank you!!




Read more of my blog by clicking the title or subject listings on the right.

Email friends of my postings with the EMAIL icon at the bottom of each post.

And as always, feel free to comment.










Member of the Boxxet Network of Blogs, Videos and Photos

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin